2011-02-27

Federer says skiing, football will have to wait

Federer says he has given up most recreational sports for fear of picking up an injury that will keep him off the court. -AFP Photo

DUBAI: There was a time when Roger Federer was seen on the slopes and even on a football pitch.

Not anymore.

Federer says he has given up most recreational sports for fear of picking up an injury that will keep the 16-time Grand Slam winner off the tennis court.

He said at the Dubai Championships on Thursday he last skied three years ago but stopped after he fell ill, and he has hasn't played much football regularly since 2001 when "he was unable to move" following several games.

Even a recent round of golf in Dubai with his parents raised alarms when his back hurt afterwards.

"To be quite honest, I do miss (skiing). I used to do it up until a few years ago," Federer said.

"Last time I skied was in 2008 when I had mono. Came back after the Australian Open, went skiing, and next day I got ill again. So I was like, OK, it's a sign for me. No more skiing. That's a pity."

Federer said there will be plenty of time to pick up other sports after he retires, which may be a while. He doesn't turn 30 until August.

"I played a round of golf with my parents. It was my mom's birthday the other week here, and I went to play on the Emirates Golf (Club)," he said.

"It was nice to do, but the same thing again. Next thing you know, your back hurts just a little bit.

"You just don't want to do it, because my body is accustomed to playing tennis right now.

"Honestly, I can wait for many more years until I can do all those sports really well. I actually do miss it, to do all those things a bit more often."

He says he's sticking with sports that don't require him breaking a sweat.

"I can play ping pong. I can do that," he said.

"Yeah, I can play cards if that's a sport. Look, I'll be able to enjoy (other sports) much more when I'm done."

No comments:

Post a Comment